The first date is going to be something that words can’t readily describe. You’re going to be a mixed bag of emotions. You’re going to feel excited, anxious, and maybe a little scared. If you’re like many folks who are venturing into mature dating, you may be hesitant and reserved on your first date. Though that is understandable that you may want to be cautious on the first date, you don’t want to be so reserved that the other person doesn’t get a sense of who you are as a person.
In this article, we will give you a few first date tips that will help your first date go off without a hitch.
1. Some people who come into mature dating do so because they’ve gotten out of a relationship that didn’t work out for one reason or another. They could have gone through a devastating divorce, their spouse could have passed, or the marriage dissolved for other reasons. When you go out on a date with a mature single, whether you met them in person or online, keep that in mind. You don’t want to bring up something that could be a touchy subject accidentally.
2. While you do want to make a good first impression, you don’t want to try too hard. You should play up your own natural abilities and refrain from acting like someone you aren’t. Remember, things have a way coming to light and imagine how awkward it would be if your date found out you were a phony.
Dating Tips for Seniors
3. When you are having a conversation with your date, you’re going to keep the conversation neutral. You don’t want to bombard your date with too many personal questions, but you also don’t want to bore them (or possibly scare them away) by revealing too much about yourself, either. Talk about current events, hobbies, interests, and past experiences. You should probably steer clear of religion, politics, exes, and things that are sensitive.
4. You don’t want to dominate the conversation! A lot of people think that they have to be the ones doing most of the talking on a first date. Instead, you should let your date do most of the talking and only interject when you have something to add or even a question to ask. The key to a good conversation is following the 60/40 rule. Your date should be talking most of the time, and you should be doing most of the listening.
5. Breathe and enjoy the date. It’s understandable that you’re going to be nervous on a first date, but that doesn’t mean you should be a basket of nerves while sitting across from your date! Breathe and try to relax. If you feel like you need a bit of liquid courage, only have one or two drinks at most. You don’t want to be a slurry mess! Just remember that your first date is meant to be a fun experience with no unnecessary pressure. Mature dating can be a lot of fun if you approach it as such. You need to remember that there’s no surefire way to ensure that your first date goes off without a hitch. We do, however, hope that these five tips will help you show your date how awesome you are.