It is a common fact that first date can be a quite nerve-wrecking experience when dating at any age. Even if you are dating after 50 years, you still may feel uncertain of where to go, what to wear, what to talk about and how to behave, especially if you haven’t been dating for decades. Before the very first date you wonder if the person you meet will like you , whether you will like him/her and how much the dating ‘scheme’ has changed since you have been dating the last time.
For sure, there is no an absolute strategy to make your senior dating effective, but you can follow some tips to increase your chances for a successful dating.
1. You need to set a number one purpose of your dating – the decision, if you are willing for more dates with this person. So, bearing this in mind, plan the date and encourage the conversation to help you to get to know each other and avoid silent dates like those in the movies, theater and the like.
2. Arrange your first date that way, so you can share your common interests, hobbies, values. This will allow you setting an immediate connection and your rapport will grow around something that is valuable for you two.
3. If you are going to have a lunch date, make sure that you can combine your meal with some fun activity and that you can have some things to discuss when you are eating. However, bear in mind that dinner dates imply more intimacy than you may expect from the first date. The two total strangers sitting opposite, eating and trying to make the conversation can be quite a pressure.
4. If you are really nervous about senior dating, then you may want to consider having your first date in a group of friends and socialize in a group activity. This can be anything, like wine tasting, charity, simply going out with friends, etc.
5. Think of your safety and meet in public places on the first date. If you start feeling uneasy with the person you have a date with, then you better leave.
6. The last, but not the least, make sure you don’t put all your eggs in the basket with the name “first date”. Even if this is not your person, you have had a good time, trained your communication skills and now you know better what you want and don’t want to see in your future partner.
Keep in mind to enjoy the date no matter how old you are. Spend your time relaxed and easy. Enjoy everything and if you don’t enjoy it, hurry up to leave. There is no need to waste your precious time on unpleasant dates. Set it your primary goal to have fun and enjoy the time, no matter what the outcome will be.